You’ve finally arrived at the 20-week mark, and you’re ready to start the next chapter of your pregnancy and find out the gender of your baby! Whether you want to celebrate this moment with family and friends or more privately, a gender reveal cake is the perfect way to reveal the surprise, or, to celebrate with. Here are 3 bakeries in Ottawa that do amazing custom gender reveal cakes.
Artistic Cake Design
Artistic Cake Design is a family business in Ottawa that is run by three generations of cake designers. They do incredible work with fondant and deco. They can work with any inspiration and colour scheme. The family does all of their baking on-site, and their years of experience can bring any theme or inspiration to life.
Carla’s Cakes does everything from custom cakes, cake-pops to cupcakes. They are an incredibly versatile company that can provide nut free, gluten free, sugar free, vegan and halal cakes for any order. They also offers customizable options on their website for both the inside and outside of the cake, making it super easy to order online. All their work is done by hand. Gender reveal cake pops, anyone?
What To Know
Custom Cake Costs
How much should you expect to pay for a gender reveal cake in Ottawa? It depends on how big and elaborate you want it to be. You should expect to pay anywhere from $40 (for a one-layer, one colour cake with regular icing) to $200 (for a multi-tier, elaborate cake with fondant and details).
Things To Decide
Before ordering your cake, here’s some things you should know:
- How many people you’re looking to serve. This will determine the size of the cake.
- The Shape Of The Cake You Want. Typically, bakeries offer square or round tiers, but can create custom shapes upon request.
- Any allergies or dietary requirements from your guest list.
- Cake flavour and colour. The bakery will have a list of flavours for inside the cake, though it will be limited due to the need to colour the cake for the baby’s gender.
- Icing Flavour. Do you know if you want a fondant icing or regular icing on the outside? While fondant is what gives designer cakes their clean cut look and intricate designs, the consistency and flavour can sometimes be not sweet enough for kids to really enjoy.
- Photos Help. There are a plethora of photos on the internet to get inspiration from for your gender reveal cake, and this can help bakeries to understand what you’re looking for and exceed your expectations. If you can have photos of cakes you like when ordering, this will make the process that much easier (and the cake that much better).
Here are some gender reveal cake ideas and inspirations:
This pastel blue and pink cake is so clean and cute, it’s a great option for your gender reveal party.
Looking for something more elegant and decoration? The use of a more turquoise shade of blue adds so much sophistication to this cake. Not to mention the dripped pink icing on top, which brings this gender reveal cake to the next level.
Flags and confetti make this cake look super fun! But what’s really unique is the use of baby footprints on this cake, it adds a special element for any expecting parents.
The dramatic split of pink and blue is bold and fun, and the chocolate covered strawberries on and around this cake make it one of our favourite gender reveal cake concepts! This way, if dad doesn’t get the little hockey player he wanted, he can still grab a blue strawberry as a consolation prize.
Another fun drip cake, this inspo photo shows how fun cake toppers can be, like this oversized Oh Baby Cake Topper.
How about a white gender reveal cake? The white and gold on this cake is so elegant and classy. And, it really leaves the colour and fun to the big reveal!
Cupcakes and cake pops may be a good add-on for a party with various food sensitivities. Cake pops can make for some extremely fun creations, like this gender reveal cake pops!
Custom cupcakes are a great option, too. They can build on whatever theme you’re going for and give guests a fun choice to make.